Pages

Sunday 30 November 2008

Long, Long Time Ago…

Well it’s been ages since I’ve been climbing, even indoors. I think that this is the second longest period of time off that I’ve had since I began; the longest of course being the shoulder injury saga.

Looking through my training diary, I’ve managed about 9 sessions in two months. Ugh. I’m hoping that once life settles down, I can return to at least three sessions a week. Last time I went to the wall I was still flashing V4 and struggling with V5s. It’s not exactly the end of the world, but I have a lot of work to do. Sad to say but there really is something missing in my life.

I’ve been keeping up with a bit of cardio from my daily cycle commute. It’s only about 8km round trip, but it’s better than nothing. I try to fit some running in when I can, but the weather and darkness is very much against me.

My shoulder has been causing me a ton of pain lately. I always envisaged taking autumn off, but I thought it would be good for my shoulder. I never realised how badly it would be affected by being cramped in a desk writing all day. I’ve been trying to keep up with my exercises, but I haven’t had much success. I think a return trip to the physio is in order, if I can find the time, not to mention money.

This autumn / winter was always going to be a major challenge. I suppose there was comfort when things were ambiguous. Now, looking at the challenges in black and white, I wonder if it was worth it. But I always come back to the conclusion – what other option was there.

No comments: