Pages

Monday 18 February 2008

Rotator Cuff Impingement

And I wonder how I hurt my shoulder...

I finally went to see a physio therapist about my shoulder pain, only four months later! I had a bad experience with a physio in the past and because of this I thought they were all a waste of time. However my shoulder wasn’t getting any better so I decided to try a practice recommended by a friend.

I don't remember specifically injuring it, rather, it began gradually after a lengthy day of bouldering at the Buttermilks last October. On the same day I stopped my boyfriend's backwards tumble onto the crash-mat but he hit my bad shoulder on the way down.

I kept climbing on the injured shoulder since it wasn’t that bad, but this led to climbing in an off balance manner, since I was unconsciously trying to ‘protect’ the injured and painful muscle. This in turn led to a rotator cuff impingement. The physio was very thorough and went through a ton of movements with me to see what hurt and we both noticed that I have a very limited range of movement in my right (bad) shoulder. I can't believe I never noticed it before! My pects are stiff but nowhere near as bad as my 'chronically tight' back muscles, which seem to be at the root of the problem.

She wants me to lay off climbing for at least two week while we work to re-align my shoulder through stretching and massage. I'll then have to start exercises to build up the weakened muscles. Hopefully it won’t take too long.

Now where did I put those running shoes…

No comments: